Free email accounts are easy to get and use, so you might be reluctant to switch to a paid account. But when you look at the advantages of using your domain name for your email address — such as increased credibility, branding opportunities and how affordable they are — you’ll see you can’t afford not to use one.
Using Gmail or Hotmail for Business Can Make You Appear Much Less Credible.
An email address can say a lot more than just the messages you send from it. Recently, I found an accountant online and scheduled a consultation to get help with my tax return. The accountant replied to my request through email, and that’s when I noticed she was using a personal Hotmail address. Seeing this made me think twice. Was she really as established and professional as I thought she was? With all of the work you do to establish your company and attract new customers, don’t let a little thing like an email address distract your potential customers.
Many new small business owners setting up a new website will not be familiar with the complications of setting up a pop3 inbox on your server, and why bother when gmail is relatively simple to use, but how professional does it look?
Sending a support or order confirmation email that is plain to see it comes from gmail or hotmail can make you appear less credible.
5 Advantages to Using a Personalised Business Email Address
- Look professional: Like it or not, prejudices exist around email addresses. Although, a Hotmail address might functionally be working well for you, it can make you look “behind the times,” and appear less established and less serious about your business.
- Brand your business: Build your business identity. Put your company name in front of customers, prospects, suppliers, vendors and partners with every email you send. When your email address is your company name, you’re marketing your business with every email you send.
- Manage all email accounts in one place: When you get a personalised email address, you don’t need to check multiple email accounts or worry about missing messages from your free email. Most email, like Hotmail and Gmail, let you forward all messages to any email address you choose or alternatively redirect your personalised email address to your Gmail account.
- Easy to find your business online: Customers and prospects you’ve corresponded with from time to time don’t always remember how to find you online, but if they have your business email in their online address book, they can see your domain name in your email address and know exactly how find your website.
- Transportability: If your using your ISP given email like email@example.com and you change ISPs you cannot take your ISP given email address with you and it is difficult to inform everyone of your new email address.
How do you get a personalised business email address?
If your business has a website, then you’ll want your email address to match the domain name. If you don’t have a website yet, then you’ll need to start by getting a domain name, if you already have your domain name contact us to get it setup.
Tip: Select your domain name carefully because you’re going to want to put your business website on this domain eventually. A domain is a key part of your brand, so take the time to find a name that represents your company brand, is fairly short, easy to spell and easy to remember.